Reasons to Support OCYSO
- Since 1970, OCYSO has gained an enviable reputation for the range of performance opportunities and training of young musicians in the art of orchestral playing. In addition to a full concert season, students have the opportunity to perform with professional orchestras, guest artists and collaborate with living composers.
- As part of a superb training, students experience development in the area of leadership abilities, time-management and critical thinking skills.
- Students have the opportunity to rehearse and perform in the beautiful surroundings and conservatory atmosphere of Chapman University’s Conservatory of Music.
- OCYSO connects students to an impressive network of distinguished alumni including Emil de Cou, Former Associate Conductor of the National Symphony in Washington, D.C., David Whitehill, Executive Director of the Ashville Symphony, and Ryan Simmons, Bassoon of the San Diego Symphony.
- Alumni of OCYSO have also been successful in attending prestigious music conservatories such as Juilliard, Oberlin, Eastman, Indiana, The Cleveland Institute, Cincinnati, Chapman and such schools as Stanford, Berkeley, USC and UCLA.
- For those not pursuing a career in music, OCYSO inspires a devotion to the arts, preparing young musicians for a lifetime of arts participation and patronage.
- OCYSO is proud to offer financial assistance to those who qualify.
- Your tax-deductible donation supports the OCYSO. Also, your employer may be interested in the visibility gained by supporting OCYSO. Please call (714) 744-7927.
Youth orchestras have been much in the news lately. The new music director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, Gustavo Dudamel, is a product of Venezuela’s youth orchestra system, and he’s been wowing audiences worldwide with his Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra. The Philharmonic, and other orchestras, would like to start up their own system of youth orchestras. Here in Southern California, we’ve been blessed with vital youth orchestras for many years, including… the OCYSO…
May 5, 2008, Timothy Mangan, OC Register
All donations to OCYSO are tax-deductible.
Click here for more information on supporting OCYSO.
Sponsors & Partners
We would like to express our deepest gratitude to our Foundation donors for their generous support of the Orange County Youth Symphony Orchestra.
The Ann and Gordon Getty Foundation
O.L. Halsell Foundation
Philharmonic Society of Orange County
The mission of the Philharmonic Society of Orange County is to foster, promote and increase the knowledge and appreciation of the arts through the presentation of performances by musical artists of national and international stature and the development and implementation of a wide variety of music education outreach programs. More than a quarter of a million Orange County students, from kindergarten through high school, participate yearly in the youth programs provided by the committees of the Philharmonic Society.
Each year since 1986, the society has presented the Orange County Youth Symphony Orchestra in eight concerts for fifth graders at the Performing Arts Center. These concerts provide the opportunity for the youth orchestra members to appear in Segerstrom Hall and for the fifth graders to be inspired by the fine musicians of the Orange County Youth Symphony.
The Friends of the OCYSO
The goal of the Friends of the OCYSO is to provide both financial and organizational support for the Orange County Youth Symphony Orchestra. Through direct donations and fundraising activities, this group provides financial assistance for the Orchestra. The Friends’ efforts provide monies for the annual fall auditions, concert programs and promotional materials. The Friends of the OCYSO also supports special workshops and master classes for orchestra members. In addition, orchestra tours are partially underwritten by the Friends of the OCYSO, reducing the cost to individual orchestra members and their families.
Members of the Friends of the OCYSO donate their time, helping with concert performances, tours and post-concert receptions. This dedicated group provides all of the necessary efforts required to elevate and promote OCYSO.
Orange County Department of Education
The Orange County Department of Education provides guidance and leadership to the 28 school districts in Orange County. The mission is to provide a world class education to the over 500,000 students enrolled in our public schools. OCDE provides students with the following county-operated programs and services: Alternative and Correctional Education, Outdoor Science, Regional Occupational Program, Special Education, Child Care Services, and Student Programs.
OCDE serves as a connecting agency among Orange County school districts, community college districts, local, state and federal governmental agencies and community organizations and responds to district and community requests for staff development, administrative, business, educational, and support services.
The Orange County Department of Education was one of the founding sponsors of the Orange County Youth Symphony in 1970.
Chapman University Conservatory of Music
The mission of the Conservatory of Music at Chapman University is to provide an outstanding education for the professional and intellectual development of artists and scholars in a supportive, rigorous liberal arts environment that enriches the human mind and spirit.
The Conservatory of music offers the Bachelor of Arts in music and pre-professional programs leading to the bachelor of music in composition, music education and performance (conducting, instrumental, keyboard collaborative arts and vocal).
Chapman University first offered the bachelor of music degree in 1930-31, and has strived to present thorough music curricula blended with liberal learning ever since. The university’s music facilities compare with institutions far larger in size and offer a fine setting for both instruction and musical presentations. The Conservatory of Music is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music.